Saturday 10 September 2011

watching RWC with mum and dad

I've decided that I can't trust myself to stay awake too late tonite, because of major sleep deprivation from last nite, so I'm blogging now at 5pm.

Last nite, shortly after posting my 'Thursday' blog, I realised that I wasn't able to pick up the right cable TV channel here to watch the RWC opening event (or indeed the NZ vs Tonga game) after all. Gutted!

However, a bit of Kiwi ingenuity and we were good to go... here's a picture of me watching the RWC last nite (or, in the case of people who live in the same time zone as me, at 5am):

Watching the RWC opening match: Mum and I cross our fingers for Dan Carter (should have crossed them harder)

No, I haven't cut my hair or moved home to NZ... that's Mum... I'm watching via the ipad that's obscured but is propped up by the back of the blue chair right in front of the TV.

Yes, thanks to skype and my parents and Maori TV, I have free access to watching rugby, complete with the great multi-person commentating and backchatting rugby-watching tradition with which I was raised... including such gems as:
"hey those people with the red and white flags must be Switzerland" (very funny, Dad)
and
"what an idiot! OMG! how embarrassing!" (Mum and me, after John Key included NO Maori language greeted in his boring speech... like, seriously John? do you really think the 100,000 tourists you raved on about came to NZ to hear you greet them in English?...)

We caught up with each other during the ads (during which Dad was asking 'do you miss Bunnings?' and holding a mallowpuff right in the middle of the screen so close I could taste it yum!) and yakked away (and ooohed and aaaahed) through the whole ceremony.

The RWC opening totally rocked: I was so blown away by the sheer scale of innovation and creativity, and remembered how gorgeous and cool home really is. (I'm not homesick when I write this as much as I'm proud.) We have our problems (exhibit A: the PM's apparent inability to say kia ora after three years in coalition with the Maori Party, symbolising the continued massive unevenness in terms of where people are 'at' with bicultural relationships and understanding) but we're also pretty damned fabulous. Hey, kind of like the All Blacks!

Today I've been dragging my tired self around feeling tragic and old, after last nite's almost four hour sleep which followed hot on the heels of a short sleep the night before. I am heading out to the nearby shops to get some basic groceries and perhaps some wool from 'Honest Ed's' amazing discount store so I can make some poi with Anne & Michelle's kids sometime soon, and I suspect I'll just come home, make some dinner, and crash out on the couch.

But having watched the RWC opening ceremony with Mum and Dad, being a bit bleary eyed today is a small price to pay.

1 comment:

  1. This is funny. Only loving parents can take the miki out of their kids and get away with it.

    I'll send you a link to the live streaming games.

    Keep posting, be safe and enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete