Wednesday 14 September 2011

teaching as aerobics

Tomorrow is the first day of the course I'm helping my mate Daniel teach here at U of T. Because I'm on sabbatical, my priority this year is research and writing... but I am going to contribute some co-teaching in this course as a way to connect with, learn about and contribute to the place I'm staying. I miss teaching when I'm not doing it, and am looking forward to meeting the students tomorrow afternoon.

Speaking of teaching, this afternoon I went to aerobics after work... I went and joined up at the gym on Friday and intended to go to zumba yesterday but got held up... today, though, I made sure I left in time to come home and get into shorts and sneakers before heading over to the gym. I was so nervous! I don't know what I thought it was going to be like - but of course it was absolutely fine and I was pleased I went. The instructor was totally cracking me up - if Steve Erkle had a half brother whose dad was Barry White, then I've found him. Even funnier, he was obviously good at what he does and the regulars in the class knew what was coming next, but for the rest of us, the little matter of his instructions being totally random and unclear left us in a confused cluster in the back half of the studio most of the time.

Funnily enough, though, I found my experience in the aerobics class was a good reminder about teaching which I will be able to reflect on as I get ready for class tomorrow:
* People can be nervous even when it's not their first class... the unknown can be nervewracking no matter the context. People bring their own fears and anxieties to class with them...
* When you're the teacher it's easy to assume that because most people in a class are following then your explanations are adequate and the ones who don't seem to be following will figure it out with no further clarification...
* Sharing heaps of 'in jokes' with, and focussing mostly on, a small number of people makes the others feel like they are not valued...
* Encouraging people by saying 'you're doing great' is only meaningful if they feel they're doing great... otherwise it just sounds like their experiences are invisible and so feels disingenuous...
* Ultimately the teacher is only one element in a classroom... along with the other students, a student's own aspirations and anxieties, and the wider context of the time and place...

And finally,
* Wearing white socks with dark shoes is always a mistake. Seriously. Always.

1 comment:

  1. As mentioned above aerobics will have a greater impact in the life style of people. There are many benefits in Zumba training in Chennai including the mental benefits, health benefits, physical benefits and fitness benefits. Doing aerobics exercise is good for heart and learn it according to aerobics guidelines of Bokwa training in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete