Friday 13 January 2012

a house, a home, a whare


So, I've kept this bit of news under wraps... but today's the day the process is finished and I can share my exciting news: as of today, I own this lovely letterbox!

Oh, and the house behind it. Yep, and the land they're on.

Actually, the land is in Waiwhetu, so really it's my land anyway... but after a couple of hundred years of water going under the bridge etc etc, the land has come back into the possession of this Te Atiawa girl.

Tomorrow a crew of relatives and friends will 'move me in' even though I presently live in Toronto and I won't get to see the whare until February when I'm home for a quick visit. I'm totally humbled by the generosity of everyone who is contributing to the shift... and especially by Mum and Dad who have worked hard to be my arms and legs (and occasional wallet) during this process. This is what a home is, right? A place where friends and family spend time... an open place, a collective place, a place associated with relationships and land.

Exciting times indeed... my very first house. Wherever the future takes me, I'll have this house (and land and, yes, letterbox) to come home to.


(Tonite's blog 'location' is in honour of my whare.)

No comments:

Post a Comment