Tuesday 24 January 2012

home, then home, then home, then home. then home.

Home.

We're back in Toronto - Megan, Matiu and I left Ohio this morning (sad to leave!) and drove back to Canada, stopping off at a couple of places along the way to make the most of having wheels before we have to take the rental car back tomorrow.

Then home.

Next week I'll be in Hawaii for most of the week! This place is definitely a second home to me - by all kinds of definitions: it's in our lovely shared ocean; I have people there who are like whanau to me; the land is amazing and I have some great memories which connect me to the place.

Then home.

Yep, back to Toronto again for a few days - some teaching, some research, some writing, a bit of packing.

Then home.

Aotearoa. The alpha and omega of 'home' for me. I'm home for just under two weeks, and plan to love every moment! I'm writing a list in my head that's a mile long of food I want to eat, places to go, people to see, etc... I'll also get to see the new home I have bought without actually going inside! - this will be very exciting: my first 'home' in a house-owner-ish sense. Oh, and I'll get to Auckland of course, while I'm there; although Wellington trumps anywhere else for 'home', nothing can replace the years I spent being raised in (and by) the lovely city which Karlo Mila so aptly describes as an octopus... 

Then home.

I'll be back in Toronto by the end of February, and will be coming via Australia... Sydney has become a kind of home to me over the past few years too, especially with Auntie Nanie being there, and now I've got even more relatives who have hopped the ditch and are living it up in Poihakena! After Sydney, I'll be back in Toronto - which will be home until June. But also, I suspect, another place which stays a 'kind of' home for me for much, much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment