Friday 27 April 2012

nearing the ending of things...

I'm in Penetanguishene, two hours north of Toronto, where Daniel and Kent hosted me not long after I first arrived in Canada. Mum, Dad and I drove up here this morning and we've had a lovely afternoon of being toured around the local area and then an evening of talking heaps and eating good food.

Mum and Dad are leaving Canada on Sunday... Daniel and Kent are leaving for Vancouver in May... I'm leaving Toronto in June and leaving Aotearoa in July...

So many departures and endings; so many conversations about preparation, timeframes, plans, packing, new possibilities, downsizing, hopes, fears, memories... so much coming, going and journeying. So many new turns in the roads of so many relationships.

Sometimes it feels like the endings and beginnings of things are at either end of long stretches of 'life,' connecting each stretch to the other and marking the passage of time during the journey from beginnings to endings and vice versa.

Tonite, I find myself thinking that endings and beginnings are journeys too: journeys for which we prepare, journeys that involve a balance of risk and confidence, journeys that shape us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment