Friday 12 August 2011

when one door closes...

I had a farewell cuppa with Helen today; my student Maria and I wanted to meet with her before she goes to take up a new job. It was a cold rainy day in Welly today and the cafe at the chaplaincy on campus does amazing chilli mochaccinos so we sat around holding cups of warmth and chatting. Helen talked about why she was moving towns, and the feeling of taking risks and trying new things. While her korero was about her own decisions, it has been nice to reflect on her words over the course of the day.

Because, sometimes when one door closes another one opens... but more than this, there is a huge amount to be discovered and affirmed when you take the risk to keep on moving, keep on rolling, stay in transit, try new things. Wellington is a great town and I'll miss it when I'm gone - but some days it's time to pack the bags, swallow the fear, and head off into the distance...

Nice one, Helen.

**PS - I realised you might not know who Helen is - she's the awesome Administrator in English - she has been a real friend to me over the past 6 1/2 years at Vic**

No comments:

Post a Comment