Friday 26 August 2011

funny story (yes, about a bear)

So Daniel and I are walking with his dog Raven through the local woods, after he has confirmed that it's unlikely I'll be eaten by a bear or bitten by a snake.

Daniel is giving me an introduction to folk and country music by singing a crazy and hilarious song about a girl who killed all her family members in various ways, and then we see a man walking towards us further up the trail.

The man is elderly, and dressed for walking as we are, and politely says once we get closer "sorry I hope I didn't scare you with my gun" - at which point I realise for the first time that he is carrying a gun! A shotgun! Just dangling off the end of his hand there! So no, I hadn't been scared of his gun - until I realised it existed!

And then he follows this up with a smile and a comment "I carry it for the bears - I've seen bears in here..."

***

Yes, this is a true story. It really happened this afternoon, after we drove through an amazing storm last nite with sheet *and* fork lightning, and I had a lovely sleep, and we had lunch with some awesome mates of Daniel and Kent's in the local town... I'm having a lovely time here - very relaxing!

Well, except when I see old men carrying guns who have seen bears ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment