Wednesday 24 August 2011

first post from T.O./ t-dot/ GTA (yep, Toronto by its other names still smells as sweet)

Team, I love it here. Seriously. Toronto is fantastic. Hopefully there will be a crowbar around next June when it's time for me to leave because I suspect I'll be stuck here like a paua to a rock by then.

First, of course, apologies for the massive delay between posts - I finally got internet hooked up at home yesterday, and planned to blog last nite but my mate Rawinia was in town so I was out with her and her whanau here rather than sitting here typing! However, I've missed blogging and it feels nice to be back in this zone.

There is so much to say about my experiences since arriving, so I'm going to give a quick overview with a summary of events, a key moment, a significant person, something I learned and a question for each day since I last blogged.

Weds 17th
Summary: flew Vancouver-Toronto, picked up at airport by Nadine, stayed at Anne and Michelle's place
Key moment: Waiting for bags to arrive in Toronto airport at midnite, and I see my dear friend Nadine walking towards me; I realise I've properly arrived in a place that will be good for me.
Person: Jason, the lovely sweet interesting Canadian boy I met on the plane from Vancouver. My first new Toronto friend, and someone I look forward to meeting up with again later this week.
Something I learned: The CN tower (like Akld's skytower) is always south. 
Question: Will this place feel like home?

Thurs 18th
Summary: Picked up keys for apartment, picked up rental car, hit IKEA and supermarket to stock up for my time here, started to unpack.
Key moment: The guy at the rental car place asked for my address and for the first time I wrote down my Spadina Ave address!
Person: Nadine, who as well as being totally fun and supportive, worked very hard making translations and suggestions, carrying bags, steering me through IKEA when we both ran out of steam and the list wasn't yet finished, and talking about 'work' stuff. Now that's a good friend :)
Something I learned: I can get on a streetcar (kind of like a tram/ light rail), transfer to the subway and land exactly at a big supermarket - this will be handy when it's snowy!
Question: How did I manage to get tonic for gin but no lime or lemon? (obviously still jetlagged)

Fri 19th
Summary: Slept in, spent an hour in traffic on Spadina after some kind of incident blocked the road, picked up Nadine, drove towards USA, spent 2 1/2 hrs at immigration at Buffalo (long story), had buffalo wings at the pub they were invited (love the Anchor Bar), went shopping at Target and we were the last customers when they closed at 11pm, drove home.
Key moment: Sitting in immigration waiting room with Nadine, talking quite deeply about research; a juxtaposition? Maybe. 
Person: The US immigration officer who, despite having to go through a tedious and long process to sort out Nadine's and my different and strange visa dilemmas, was super-lovely and gave us directions to the bar!
Something I learned: It's cheaper to by 500 cotton buds than 375 cotton buds at Target. (I bought the 375 - the smallest box - I couldn't imagine needing 500 in ten months!
Question: Is the stuffed eagle in a glass case in the US immigration waiting room a metaphor?

Sat  20th
Summary: Slept in (again!), dropped off rental car, got mobile phone (email or msg me if you want the number), went to Anne and Michelle's for kai, did some more unpacking and settling in.     
Key moment: Walking into Anne and Michelle's place, seeing the kids again - big hugs all around :)
Person: Kingsley, Anne & Michelle's five year old son - the child is adorable and doesn't stop talking! He took me out to show me the beans he'd been growing.
Something I learned: (Again.) Winter feet + jandals = blisters. 
Question: When will I adjust to Toronto timezone?

Sun 21st
Summary: Again with the sleeping in (!), unpacked and did stuff around home, went to see Harry Potter with Anne, Michelle, Anne's sister Cathy, and Shonagh. 
Key moment: I caught a streetcar by myself and kept my cool the whole time! A very proud moment in my relationship with public transport here; I felt like maybe I had transitioned into looking more like a local than a tourist as I navigated the transfer pass situation without breaking into a sweat.
Person: Cathy, sitting beside me at the movie, patiently putting up with my stupid questions. (Yeah nah, it turns out that Snape isn't Harry's actual father after all.)
Something I learned: Life without the internet is pretty tricky.
Question: Now my house is all set up, how will I ever get it all home next year; what will I leave behind?

Mon 22nd
Summary: Got up and went for a 1 hr walk checking out my new town, had the phone and internet guy come and set me up, met upstairs neighbour, went to have kai with Rawinia & Te Ripowai from home who were staying with whanau here in T.O., went for a drink and got home late!
Key moment: Seeing Ra's smiling face as I emerged from the subway at Ossington.
Person: Kyle, the guy from Bell, the phone company; he spent 4 hours working on the wiring and installation! Legendary effort, and good company too (it's strange living alone again).
Something I learned: That a 'polar bear' is a very delicious shot. Yum.
Question: Will the summer weather stay for long enough for me to keep up my walking for a while yet?

Tues 23rd
Summary: Met up with Daniel (my friend at Uni of Toronto who arranged for me to be here), had breakfast with him on Bloor St, signed up for a bank account, went to Aboriginal Studies and First Nations House to meet some of my new colleagues, got keys to the office I'll share with Daniel, went to free outdoor movie screening and caught subway home.    
Key moment: Eating a kebab and watching 'Chicago' in a comfy seat at the movie screening - enjoying being part of a Toronto crowd.
Person: Daniel, who is wise and lovely and generous and supportive.
Something I learned: It is possible for someone teaching Indigenous Literature to be valued and supported by English *and* Indigenous Studies. (A comforting and inspiring insight.)
Question: Is it possible that I am not adjusting to Toronto time because I keep staying up to watch TV/ blog? (ie is it self-inflicted?)

Hopefully that makes you feel a bit caught up. It has been nice to reflect on all that has happened so far.

Tomorrow evening I'm heading to Daniel's place to stay with him and his partner for a few days. They live two hours north of the city and so I'll be experiencing some rural life... he assures me I won't be eaten by a bear. Whew! :)

Hopefully I'll be able to get online there so I can keep up with the blogs... it's nice to be back at te tau okioki.

1 comment: