Wednesday 28 March 2012

home again

Someone told me today that he's sad I'm leaving Canada soon. Someone else emailed to start arrangements for a farewell. Sure, I'm not leaving Toronto until mid-June - but the tide seems to be shifting direction again. I can feel the first tugs of the undertow, cheeky and fleeting but definitely there. The pull will only get stronger from now I suppose.

My body is home in Toronto... but I've been thinking about Aotearoa and Hawai'i today as well. As Lesley drove me to the airport, we talked more about Pacific literature, and as I flew to LGA and finally YYZ I made more lists of tasks to complete here, at home and in Hawai'i. I remember an early blog post, in the first delicate weeks of sabbatical, when I was in Sydney and was thinking about tasks I needed to do in Sydney, at home and in Toronto.

I suppose that time shifts regardless for all of us; for me, it seems places do too.

A strange Polynesian triangle I'm living in: Toronto the farthest point, across to Hawai'i and down to Aotearoa. A lopsided three-sided shape which approximates the feel of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment